This toolkit is designed as a resource for K-12 teachers and others to provide a foundation for institutionalizing service-learning and enhancing the role of civic engagement on college campuses.
- Facilitating Reflection: A Manual for Leaders and Educators from the John Dewey Project on Progressive Education
- Types of reflective activities that can be used in service-learning projects from Campus Compact
Journals and Newsletters
- The Generator
National Youth leadership Council (NYLC)
- In The Service of What: The Politics of Service Learning
by Kahne and Westheimer (this article first appeared in Phi Delta Kappan, 1996)
- Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning
Jeffrey Howard, Editor. Ann Arbor: OSCL Press.
Each issue has a variety of peer-reviewed articles related to research, pedagogy, and theory relevant to service-learning.
- National Society for Experiential Education Quarterly
Articles from the field of experiential education, including research related to the effectiveness of experiential education techniques, are featured in this quarterly journal. Service-learning is one of the many experiential education methods featured in this journal.
Discussion and E-Mail Lists
- Community-Based Organizations Engaged in Service-Learning (CBO-SL)
Tailored to individuals at community-based organizations engaged in service-learning activities. To join, send a message to:email@example.com with the following text in the body: SUBSCRIBE CBO-SL City State First name Last name
- Community-Campus Partnerships for Health Listserv (CCPH)
A listserv for communities and campuses interested in service-learning and other community-campus partnerships that involve health professional schools and programs. To subscribe send an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Higher Education Service-Learning Listserv (HE-SL)
Provides a forum for the discussion of issues concerning the higher education service-learning community. HE-SL Listserv discussions have evolved around curriculum requests, class assignments and the institutionalization of service-learning. Join the list online.
- K-12 Service-Learning Listserv (K12-SL)
Provides a forum for the discussion of issues concerning the K-12 service-learning community. Some of the past discussions have involved project ideas, information requests and current service-learning news. Join the list online.
- On-Line Conference on Community Organizing and Development (COMM-ORG)
Postings cover organizing stories, discussion of issues in community organizing and related areas such as community development, community-based planning, and community-based research.
- Service-Learning Listserv Hosted by Communications for Sustainable Future at the University of Colorado, Boulder (CSF)
An active and informative listserv for the entire service-learning community. Although hosted by an institution for higher education, the discussions cover a wide range of service-learning topics.
To subscribe, send an email to email@example.com following these instructions:
- Leave the subject line blank
- The message text should read: subscribe service-learning
- Remove any appended signature